Carbon Monoxide (CO) Poisoning- the silent killer in your home

One of our clients had to visit the ER last week for treatment from CO poisoning after their furnace malfunctioned, fortunately she recovered and the rest of her family are safe. They were fortunate. According to the CDC every year more than 400 Americans die from unintentional CO poisoning not related to fires- another 20,000 visit the emergency room and 4,000 are hospitalized.

During the recent winter snowstorm there were at least 3 deaths from CO poisoning by people stranded in automobiles that ran the engine to stay warm. When travelling in winter weather have a safety kit with blankets and be aware that CO can be a factor if you remain in a running vehicle- check to ensure the tailpipe remains clear.

CO is a colorless, odorless gas produced by the incomplete burning of any carbon-containing material, including gasoline, natural gas, propane, coal or wood. CO is dangerous because it replaces oxygen in the blood and interferes with the transport of needed oxygen to cells in the body.

Travelers Insurance has some excellent tips on how to keep your family safe from this silent killer, please read about it at the following link and take steps now to ensure your family’s safety!

https://www.travelers.com/resources/home/safety/how-to-prevent-carbon-monoxide-poisoning.aspx

This entry was posted in LIFE SAFETY. Bookmark the permalink.
Join Our Networks Sign up for Our Newsletter